Coming Summer 2013… ViolinSchool will soon release a new website, a new book (‘How to get started with the violin’) and a new short film (‘Why do you play the violin?’). Be the first to hear when they are released… follow us on Facebook or Twitter, or sign up for our mailing list.
Next Introductory Class for beginners is on Saturday 1st June. Details here >>ViolinSchool
Welcome to ViolinSchool!
Using the lessons and online courses on this new interactive website, you’ll learn not just the techniques of how to play the violin, but also the magic of how to become a truly inspirational musician and performer. We train pre-professional and non-professional violinists of any age, and any level of experience.
A message from Simon Hewitt Jones, Director of ViolinSchool…
Do you dream of playing the Violin but don’t know where to begin? Did you learn violin as a child, and want to start playing again? Are you already an experienced violinist, but want to improve further? Or is your child showing a desire to play the violin, and you want to find the best tuition for them? Do you want to train as a professional violinist?
As the UK’s leading specialist violin school, ViolinSchool can help you to realise all these challenges and more! Our courses and one to one tuition are specifically designed to give you the tools that you need in order to continually improve forever. Sure, we will teach you all the technique you need to know! But what many music teachers fail to deliver is the mentorship you need to become your own best teacher. We do that.
In addition to one to one tuition, our highly experienced violin teachers also offer monthly introductory workshops and weekly group tuition. Between us, we have years of practical experience as both performers and teachers, working successfully with students, orchestras, bands, ensembles, and artists all around the world. We think it’s important that teachers are not only experienced teachers, but also have experience as professional performers. We don’t just understand high-level music making theoretically… we’re engaged with it every single day! (You can download my own latest MP3s and tour dates on my personal website at SimonHewittJones.com).
Organisations our teachers have taught for include the London Symphony Orchestra’s education program, the junior departments of most of London’s music conservatoires, and the Live Music Now education & recital scheme, creating hundreds educational events, workshops and concerts for disadvantaged audiences all over the country.
So, how do we make this happen?
- You’ll learn musical and technical principles that will give you a perfect foundation for whatever you want to do as a violinist
- You’ll receive extensive performance training that will enable you to walk into any situation and give a compelling performance
- You’ll learn in small group workshops or private one-to-one sessions, giving you both focused attention and peer support
- Enjoy our friendly, hyper-creative atmosphere – mistakes are encouraged as part of the creative process!
- Be part of a passionate community of learners that places great music-making at the heart of everything we do
About Our Tuition Programs…
- Courses and Workshops are held at centrally located studios in Kings Cross, Earl’s Court, Pimlico and Waterloo
- Highly convenient location for one-to-one tuition near Buckingham Palace in London, just 2 minutes from Victoria Station
- Open seven days a week throughout the year from 8am to 10pm – choose a time or date to suit you!
- Parents and children can learn together at reduced rates
- Receive plentiful resources, handouts, support tools, book/video recommendations, and online backup
- Private tuition is also available online via broadband internet (Skype).
- International visitors welcome! We can coordinate your tuition with your stay in the UK.
Types of Tuition…
- One to one lessons take place at our dedicated teaching studios in Palace Street in Central London. If you’re not in the UK, you can also take tuition by video using Skype over a broadband connection. For more details about one to one lessons, click here.
- Group Tuition happens on Saturday afternoons in Central London, and are a great opportunity to connect and learn with other violinists in a social environment. Each term, we have a fantastic concert which you can take part in. For more details about group tuition, click here.
- Online Learning - Wherever you are in the world, you can be part of the ViolinSchool community and power your learning process with our advanced suite of online tools. For more details about how membership of our online e-learning community can benefit you, click here.
- Professional Coaching – We are building what we intend will become one of the finest violin training programs in the world. Our outstanding international violin professors offer world class training that will help you succeed as a professional violinist. For more information, click here.
Who are our Students?
Music is a truly international language, so as you might expect, the diversity of our students is enormous. We teach any age at any level, though our clients commonly fall into four types:
* children learning violin (with or without parents)
* professional people who played as a child and want to start playing again after establishing career/university/family
* adults of all ages (18-85 so far!) who love the violin, and want to start learning as beginner students
* high-level professional coaching and pre-professional training (see our Professional Development Program)
But of course, everyone’s experience is different! Whoever you are, whatever your goal as a violinist, we can help you!
Can’t afford tuition? — We believe noone should be denied music tuition because of an inability to pay. If you’re really talented and committed, we’ll try and offer you a couple of lessons if time allows — just pay what you can afford. Just mention this when you get in contact. (strictly subject to time constraints!)
If there’s anything you’d like to know about learning violin, please check the Frequently Asked Questions.
If you can’t find the answer you’re looking for, feel free to call us on +44 (0) 20 3051 0080 or for a quicker response just send an email and our admin team will get back to you as soon as they can.
New! - Next introductory workshop: - Book Now!
YES, I WANT TO LEARN VIOLIN! WHAT DO I DO NOW?
1) Browse this website. Start with ‘About The School’ to learn more about us, then read the ‘What We Offer’ section to understand the full range of tuition that we provide.
2) Fill in our questionnaire, that will match you up with the type of tuition that’s just right for you: